Sometimes, we fall into the temptation of wanting to feed our furry friends with table scraps and small treats when they sit next to the dinner table. However, it is important to know that you may be harming your dog by feeding it certain foods. Dogs are part of the family but it does not mean they can share all the food we eat because many of them are bad for dogs. Read on to learn more about the 11 foods that are bad for your dog.
Chocolate is harmful to your pet because it changes the central nervous systems in dogs. This is because it contains theobromine which is a stimulant that can be lethal to your pets. Dark chocolate is especially bad for your dog’s health as it is worse than white chocolate and milk chocolate. This is because the intensity of the chocolates’ color is directly proportional to the amount of theobromine. Its toxicity largely depends on the chocolate’s cocoa content and the dog’s size.
Apart from chocolate, avoid giving your dog any drink that contains caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Vomiting and palpitation are the most common signs of chocolate poisoning and in severe cases, it could lead to death.
Garlic and Onions
Although garlic and onions are known in the herbal world for their amazing health benefits, disulfides and sulfoxides are present in them which can cause anemia and damage the red blood cells. Poisoning by these substances is often tricky as symptoms tend to show up just after 3 to 4 days after ingestion. Weakness and reluctant to move are some of the symptoms you would see in affected dogs. All onion types are bad for dogs, including cooked, raw, or dehydrated onions, and leftovers from the dinner table that have cooked onions.
Macadamia nuts can also be very bad for dogs because it contains a toxin that restrains the locomotory function of a dog. Often, after a dog consumes macadamia nuts, it can cause vomiting, weaknesses, swelling joints, gait, muscle or joint pain, a faster heartbeat, and a rise in temperature. It can even lead to paralysis in the worst-case scenario.
Raisins and Grapes
Raisins and grapes are great for humans, but they are harmful to dogs. This is because of the pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides that dirty them. Additionally, they are harmful because they contain a lot of fungi, vitamin D, metal or mold in them.
Raw Fish and Meat
Raw fish and meat are a favorite breeding ground for bacteria causing food poisoning. Besides bacteria, there are also some fish varieties that harbor parasite growth. One of them is salmon. Raw salmon contain parasites that can cause poisoning in dogs. Once you notice your dog has consumed this, don’t delay treatment as it can be lethal after 2 weeks of infection.
Avocado is another food you should avoid giving to your dog. There is a compound found in avocados known as persin which can upset the dog’s stomach. Persin is found in the avocado leaves, plants, and fruit. The slippery pit can also get stuck easily in your pet’s intestinal tract and cause pain as a result of the blockage. Surgery is usually needed to fix this problem most times. Also, avocados can cause stomach upsets and stomach aches that include vomiting and diarrhea.
The seeds and cores of an apple contain toxic cyanide, which can be harmful to your dog. Cyanide stops blood from transporting oxygen through the body, and this will stop many bodily functions when the right amount of oxygen is not supplied. The poisonous apple core can lead to a few things, like coma, shock, hyperventilation, seizures, collapse, dizziness, breathing problems, drooling, dilated pupils, and apprehension. Dogs can take apples as a treat but only after taking out the core and seeds. Also, avoid giving your dog a rotten apple.
Don’t give your dog alcohol of any kind and ensure your pet does not lick up any spilled whiskey or beer. Alcohol can harm your pet’s brain and liver, just like it does to humans. Likewise, your canine friend can experience tremors, breathing problems, or problems in coordination. But the effect is worse in dogs because their organs are quite smaller than humans’. Alcohol can also cause the blood sugar level of your dog to drop, and your dog will need to get glucose very fast to halt brain damage. This is because low blood sugar levels can lead to seizures in animals.
Even if your furry friend gives you puppy dog eyes, you should never feed them cooked or raw bacon. Cooked bacon contains a lot of fat which can cause canine pancreatic. Whether cooked or uncooked, fat trimmings can also lead to this problem. Bacon can cause cardiovascular disease, hypothyroidism, and obesity because it has a lot of calories. The high amount of salt found in bacon can also cause bloating. Bloating can be very harmful to your pet as it can cause a lot of gas in your dog’s stomach.
While white mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat, wild mushrooms can be very dangerous for them. If eaten, wild mushrooms can cause salivation, excessive urination, convulsions, diarrhea, restlessness, vomiting, kidney damage, liver damage, drooling, abdominal pain, coma, or death. The toxins will gather in their bodies if not treated right away and can lead to liver or kidney failure. Just like most poisonings, the best way to control the poison of wild mushrooms is not to take it in the first place.
Avoid giving your dog any food with artificial sweeteners. This is because they can contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can lead to an excessive amount of insulin being sent into the dog’s blood, causing kidney failure or even worse death. Attractive as they can be, candy and chewing gums contain this sweetener. So, watch your pet intently to avoid ingesting this, because it could cause adverse effects even when ingested in a small amount.